Monday, June 14, 2010

VAC Machine, World Cup, Through Black Spruce

That last post was a bit of a downer. I wasn't in the best mood while writing it. Getting angst & anger out is necessary. I've always thought that. I've got this machine called a VAC that's over the wound on my butt now. It's a machine that essentially siphons or vacuums out all the bloody drainage that's coming out of that single, relatively newer wound that I was complaining about before. Hopefully it makes everything heal quicker. At least it's portable. There's lots of tubing but it came with an umm, satchel to carry it around in. Don't make fun of it, Indiana Jones wears a satchel, hah hah...sorry about the cousinly inside joke. moving on.

I finally got to the movies this summer a few days ago too. I went to see Get Him to the Greek. It's that movie with Russell Brand and Jonah Hill that's a continuation showing the subsequent events in the life of Brand's rockstar character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. One of the best things about it is actually Diddy as a maniacal record exec. It's great self parody on his behalf. I've also been watching pretty much all of the World Cup action thus far. I thought of supporting Germany at the beginning of the tournament and I think I'll stick with them for now. There's lots of known good teams and teams on the rise this year. It should be great. I've also been reading a book called Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden. It's a continuation focusing on the descendents of the protagonist Xavier Bird/Nephew from Boyden's debut novel Three Day Road. There certainly are echoes of things, events, and relationships in Three Day Road in Through Black Spruce but it takes place basically in present day Ontario and Quebec. I'm not done reading it but there's one protagonist that's the granddaughter of Xavier, who has a lost sister that is somewhat impulsive, action oriented, and lost, like Elijah in the previous book. This female protagonist also has the "gift" of foresight into the future via seizures like the Grandmother Niska in the previous book. It deals with a lot of First Nations issues like Three Day Road however the issues discussed are much more today. Some impact and power is lost because of setting the narrative in regular society & reservations of today compared to the battlefields of World War I but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. I'll probably write a whole post about it after I'm done. There's actually a lot of books that I've been interested in reading that have come out in the last while. I just got Through Black Spruce first because I found it for $12 before tax. It was $19 after tax. Not too shabby a discounted price compared to the original list price of $34 or so. It's great that it's a new copy as well.

Last thoughts. Go on YouTube and look up Kina Grannis. If you don't at least like her personality, we can't get along. She's definitely replaced Babyporridge as my absolutely necessary woman from YouTube. Just saying, hah hah.

LATER EVERYONE

No comments:

Post a Comment